Friday, May 06, 2005

The Science of Fire

Would you believe it - I wandered home for lunch on Wednesday and as I was going up the stairs to my flat on the 2nd floor, I met the owner, Mr. Hwang coming down. He told me there had been a fire but my room hadn't been affected.

It turns out that the 3rd floor of the apartment block next door had been gutted. Probably an electrical fire. I opened my window (slightly cracked by the heat; I'll need to have it replaced) and I could see charcoal.

For safety, the electricity had been turned off, so the lights didn't work and the my washing had to wait. When I returned after work on Wednesday, Mr. Hwang had left me a torch (a flashlight, as he called it in his American accent).

~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday was a day off - Children's Day. A day for Korean parents to treat their kids. So I avoided all cinemas and other places children would likely be swarming. Don't get me wrong - I love kids, but my experience of Children's Day is that they come in herds.

The flat was noisy with drilling and banging, and lots of glass being broken, so I chose to stay away.

I've been reading Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything", an enlightening history of science. This must be the first science book that's ever held my attention - even made me laugh out loud.^^ Reminds me of the British scientist and inventor, Adam Hart-Davies, in that he makes science fascinating, easily understandable and practical.

No comments: