Tuesday, January 24, 2006

on being fabulous and romantic

"If we say nothing but what has been said before us, we are dull and have observed nothing. If we tell anything new, we are laughed at as fabulous and romantic."- English society figure Lady Mary Wortley Montagu in a letter to her husband in 1718.
During a stay in Sydney a while back I worked in a non-sales-related telephone job, cold-calling people all around Australia. After a few weeks of settling into the job, it dawned on me that I was in fact a modern-day Santa Claus (long hours and too much caffeine perhaps??). That is, I could potentially bring joy and happiness to people in every city, town and outback corner of Aussie; I could have an impact on the outlook of the whole country from that single bright sunlit room.

I would make every call smiling, be as pleasant as humanly possible, and make the mere five-odd minutes I had with each person count to the max. My aim was to make each person at least a little bit happier. And after they put the receiver down, they might just be nicer to the next person they met. And they too might be a little more cheerful. And so on.

By enriching even one person’s life, I could be the butterfly that flaps its wings. And I could flap them cheerfully in every corner of the country with a mere tap of my fingers on the keyboard and a smile in my voice! And that smile became more and more beaming with every person I was able to make even a little happier.

(Of course, this did my employer a lot of good too and I got very positive feedback from my boss and co-workers.)

Make today the day that you too become a fabulous and romantic butterfly.

No comments: